Whether AMA members opt for the no-cost standard roadside assistance program or purchase the upgraded AMA Roadside Assistance Plus coverage, they can ride and drive worry free knowing that the AMA and its partner providers have their back.
All AMA members in good standing are eligible for the AMA Roadside Assistance program.* But coverage is not automatic. You must take some simple steps to be covered.
There are two levels of roadside assistance coverage available through the AMA:
- Standard AMA Roadside Assistance
- AMA Roadside Assistance Plus
For details, see additional terms below, but in general here are how the programs differ.
Standard AMA Roadside Assistance includes unlimited service calls a year for covered motorcycles. Up to three service calls a year may be placed for covered non-motorcycle vehicles in your household. Coverage is limited to a total of five vehicles, including motorcycles. Covered vehicles include motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers and RVs. It does not cover commercial vehicles or commercial trailers.
AMA Roadside Assistance Plus includes unlimited service calls a year for all vehicles registered to your household. It includes motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers and RVs. It does not cover commercial vehicles or commercial trailers.
Other exclusions apply. See below for more.
Get Covered: Standard AMA Roadside Assistance
Standard AMA Roadside Assistance is available at no additional cost to eligible members. Here’s how to get it.
Full AMA members who sign up for membership autorenew or purchase a three-year membership receive standard AMA Roadside Assistance coverage for no additional cost above their standard membership dues. Members who enroll in the autorenew program or purchase a three-year membership save their association money because the AMA doesn't have to mail expensive printed renewal notices to these members. The AMA returns those savings to participating members in the form of no-cost standard AMA Roadside Assistance coverage. Please allow seven days for roadside assistance coverage to be effective.
To continue to receive no-cost roadside assistance coverage under the standard AMA Roadside Assistance program, auto-renewing members must maintain a valid credit card number and an email address on file with the AMA to maintain coverage.
Members who want the ultimate protection can upgrade to AMA Roadside Assistance Plus.
Get Covered: AMA Roadside Assistance Plus
There are two ways to receive the additional coverage of the AMA Roadside Assistance Plus program:
- Purchase it for an additional $35 annual fee. Members who purchase AMA Roadside Assistance Plus for $35 are not required to sign up for membership autorenew or purchase a three-year membership.
- AMA Roadside Assistance Plus is an included benefit in the AMA Life Member Plus program. AMA Life Members who pay the $29 annual fee to upgrade to AMA Life Member Plus receive all the benefits of AMA Roadside Assistance Plus.
Either option is an incredible value. Other organizations charge $50, $75, $100 or more for unlimited roadside assistance coverage for motorcycles, cars and RVs. This program is only available to AMA members. Please allow seven days for roadside assistance coverage to be effective.
Vehicles covered include: Motorcycles, cars, trucks, motorhomes and trailers.
Towing services are covered up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility (or to any other location requested by the member of equal distance at no expense to the member). If over 35 miles, the member is only responsible for the overages incurred after the initial 35 miles.
All eligible roadside services under the program are covered at no expense to members enrolled in either standard AMA Roadside Assistance or AMA Roadside Assistance Plus. However, if the member needs additional services that aren’t covered under the programs, or if the member is unable to prove coverage at the time of service, the member will be required to pay at the time of service and submit a request for reimbursement through the AMA by calling (800) 262-5646.
AMA Roadside Assistance is your safety net for mechanical breakdowns with your household’s motorcycles and other vehicles. Commercial trailers and vehicles are, however, excluded.
Only one service call for the same service type within seven days is permitted. For example, you may call in for one tow per seven days, one lockout per seven days, one jumpstart per seven days, etc.
Members can have more than one service call within a seven-day period, but the service call cannot be for same service.
AMA Roadside Assistance does not include parts, spare wheel or battery delivery.
AMA Roadside Assistance does not cover winching.
Please note that as with other roadside assistance networks, AMA Roadside Assistance is not permitted to serve customers on restricted-access roadways that are governed by regulatory mandates enacted and enforced by local municipalities and/or tollway authorities. In these cases, you must use the service provider approved by the governing body; however, AMA Roadside Assistance can help you once your vehicle is towed outside the jurisdiction of the restricted-access highway authority.
*AMA Roadside Assistance is an optional personal benefit to bonafide members of the AMA. In order to protect the financial viability of the program, the association reserves the right to refuse program access to service abusers and those who are fraudulently exploiting the program for commercial purposes.
All roadside assistance services are available 24 hours a day to covered members.
Battery Service/Vehicle Won’t Start
- Jump start service provided for most cars, trucks and RVs.
- Note that in most cases, the provider will not be able to jumpstart a motorcycle with battery failure. In these cases, motorcycles will be towed up to the towing limit.
- Flat tire change (to owner-supplied spare).
- If no spare is available, the vehicle will be towed up to the towing limit.
Fuel, Oil, Fluid and Water Delivery Service
- Fuel: unleaded or diesel fuel.
- Fluids: water, oil, or other fluid.
- Member pays provider for fuel/fluid.
- Member will not pay for service call charge for provider to deliver to the breakdown location.
- If keys are locked inside vehicle, provider will attempt to unlock vehicle.
- If a locksmith is necessary to assist with key in trunk and if the locksmith can access trunk release from inside vehicle, it will be covered.
- If no access to a trunk release, or if a key needs to be made, the provider pays for the cost of the service charge for the locksmith to go out to the location, but the member is responsible for the cost of key and labor associated with making key.
- If lockout service is unsuccessful, provider will tow the vehicle up to the towing limit.
Mobile Mechanic Assistance (for RV vehicles)
- Program covers service call for Mobile Mechanic to go out to the location.
- Does not cover cost of parts, labor/repair, lubricants, installation or materials necessary to complete repair work on site.
Have additional questions about AMA Roadside Assistance? Call (800) 262-5646 and speak with a member services representative.
All 24-Hour Roadside Assistance Program services are provided by United States Auto Club, Motoring Division Inc., administrative offices at 3410 Midcourt Road, Suite 215, Carrollton, TX 75006.