Story and photo by Michael Marino
LEXINGTON, Ohio — AMA Charter Life Member Doc Batsleer and Kurtis Gretzinger were among 22 riders who won a total of 27 AMA No. 1 plates in road racing competition at 2019 Honda AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days presented by Avon Tyres as the event came to a close Sunday afternoon.
Batsleer, of New Smyrna Beach, Fla., said began racing in 1959. He won the Pre-War and Class C Handshift class championships about a 1934 and a 1936 Indian Bonneville Sport Scout.
He said it’s a passion and a form of therapy keeping the machines running, and he was grateful to the AMA for continuing to have racing classes for vintage machines like his.
Carey, Ohio, resident Gretzinger won the Lightweight Twins Novice and WERA Formula 2 Novice Class titles aboard a Suzuki SV650.
“I’ve had my crashes throughout this year, so it means a lot to me to come out here and do this,” he said.
He said it was his first time attending AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days and his first time racing on the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course track. He said he started road racing last year after making the switch from motocross competition.
“I love the track and the facility here,” he said.
The road racing at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days was operated by WERA Motorcycle Roadracing Inc. Racing took place on Mid-Ohio’s 2.4-mile road racing circuit.
2019 AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days Road Racing Champions
- Lightweight Twins Superstock Expert: Doug Duane
- Lightweight Twins Superstock Novice: Kurtis Gretzinger
- Vintage 6 Mediumweight: Dave LaPorte
- Vintage 8 Heavyweight: Mark Junge
- Formula 3: Jordan Reid
- Formula 2 Novice: Kurtis Gretzinger
- Formula 500: Kevin Ayscue
- Pre-War: Doc Batsleer
- Vintage 1: Lane Jacquay
- 350 GP: Francis Ganance
- Vintage 5: Mark Marrow
- Vintage 3: Scott MacKenzie
- Vintage 2: Lane Jacquay
- 250 GP: Francis Ganance
- 500 GP: Todd Narduzzi
- Formula Two-Stroke: Mark Marrow
- Vintage 4: Alexander Cook
- Vintage 6 Lightweight: Brian Conrad
- Heavyweight Twins Superbike Expert: Brian Helena
- Vintage 8 Mediumweight: Nick Shahin
- Formula 2 Expert: Jon Crawford
- Vintage 6 Heavyweight: Eric B. Bozell
- Vintage 7 Mediumweight: Paul Hopkins
- Lightweight Twins Superbike Expert: Jerry Reeves
- Lightweight Twins Superbike Novice: Dave LaPorte
- Heavyweight Twins Superstock Expert: Brian Helena
- Sidecars: Vito Wilson, Kenny Wilson