Story and photos by Michael Marino
LEXINGTON, Ohio — Brent Hahn won three AMA No. 1 plates on the Sunday, and Michael J. Pillar won two national titles in the final day of competition at 2019 Honda AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days presented by Avon Tyres at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Those two and 20 other competitors received AMA National No. 1 plates in 23 competition classes.
Revolution 1 Masters 50+ Class podium. From left, third-place finisher Mark Weininger, champion Terry Hunter and runner-up Gene L. Huntoon.
Terry Hunter and David Blevins were among the day's winners.
David Blevins (left) and Covelyn Blevins.
Hunter, of Marietta, Ga., won the Revolution 1 Masters 50+ Class on a 1993 Yamaha YZ250 he bought off a friend.
Hunter said it was his first time competing in motocross at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days and enjoyed racing in the muddy conditions Sunday.
“When I was a younger racer, I was always real good in the mud,” he said. “This was the first real mud race I’ve done since 1982.”
Blevins hails from Marion, Ohio, and brought his 9-month old daughter Covelyn onto the stage with him to accept his AMA No. 1 plate.
He said he chose to not race motocross on Saturday so that he would be ready for Sunday’s difficult track conditions.
“I figured the track would be a lot better today,” he said. “I was wrong. I ran another class too, so I was out there more than most.”
He said it was his first class championship at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, and that he started competing in motocross at the event in 2018.
AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days Sunday Motocross Class Champions
- Evolution 3 Super Senior 50+ A: Douglas Vann, Tripp City, Ohio
- Evolution 3 Super Senior 50+ B: Michael J. Sokalski, Harrison Township, Mich.
- Evolution 3 Super Senior 50+ C: Michael Bell, Fort Mitchell, Ky.
- Revolution 2 Open: Matthew Howard, Richmond, Mich.
- Evolution 2 125cc: Tyler Neel, Mansfield, Ohio
- Evolution 3 Open: Carl Schlacht, Cleveland, Ohio
- Evolution 3 85cc Youth (9-16): Evan Illingenjmiten, Vandergrift, Pa.
- Evolution 3 125cc Junior (12-17): Billy N. Harbert, Waverly, Ohio
- Revolution 1 85cc Youth (9-16): Wyatt Kinstle, Mansfield, Ohio
- Revolution 1 Veteran 30+: Jon M. Crist, Perrysvilly, Ohio
- Revolution 1 Masters 50+: Terry Hunter, Marietta, Ga.
- Classic Revolution 1: Matthew McDonald, Colona, Ill.
- Revolution 2 125cc: David Blevins, Marion, Ohio
- Evolution 3 Women: Joanne Halpin, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Revolution 2 Senior 40+: Trent Heller, Wadsworth, Ohio
- Evolution 2 Open: Ryan Sweet, Findlay, Ohio
- Revolution 1 Open: Michael J. Pillar, Dover, Ohio
- Evolution 2 250cc: John M. Delbalso, Mentor on the Lake, Ohio
- Evolution 3 Senior 40+: Brent J. Hahn, Broadview Heights, Ohio
- Revolution 2 Veteran 30+: Dustin Freitag: Carrollton, Ohio
- Revolution 1 125cc: Michael J. Pillar, Dover, Ohio
- Revolution 1 Senior 40+: Brent J. Hahn, Broadview Heights, Ohio
- Evolution 2 Super Senior 50+: Terry Cunningham, Greenback, Tenn.
- Evolution 3 Masters 60+: Bob Bean, Osceola, Ind.
- Evolution 3 125cc: Brent J. Hahn, Broadview Heights, Ohio