Colorado: Hahn’s Peak Trail System

Hahn’s Peak, Colo.

A lot of people will tell you that if you’re looking for ATVing nirvana, then Colorado is the place to go.

Towering mountains, spectacular views of wooded and snow-capped mountains and hills, pine and aspen forests, open fields, lakes, and streams…you’ll find it all in Colorado.

One of the best places for ATVers to hit the trails in Colorado is the Hahn’s Peak Trail System in the Routt National Forest, with elevations ranging from 8,000 to 10,000 feet above sea level. The system is in the north central part of the state, about 25 miles north of Steamboat Springs and 200 miles northwest of Denver.

Colorado Hahn's PeakTwo of the major landmarks in the area are a couple of the biggest: Hahn’s Peak, which rises more than 10,000 feet above sea level; and Farwell Mountain, which also towers more than five digits above sea level.

One of the most spectacular views on the trail system is from high up on Farwell Mountain, where you ride up a curvy ATV trail and then stop to gaze at scenic Steamboat Lake, with snow-capped mountains in the background and tree-covered mountains nearby. The trail takes you up through pines and then further up even above the tree line.

On top of the mountain you’ll probably still see a lot of snow regardless of when you go. The white stuff fills the rock crevices nearly year-round as a reminder of the harsh winters in the area. Yet just below the summit is a meadow that offers a fantastic, peaceful view that suggests eternal spring.

If you want, you can even take the Hahn’s Peak Trail System into Wyoming, and hit two states on one ride. With 300 square miles of area to explore, it’s easy to get away from it all, to get caught up in the pine trees, aspens, green fields and mountains.

The town of Hahn’s Peak is the place to fill up on gas and food, and to find a place to stay. Or, you can try Steamboat Springs.

Colorado law requires that Colorado residents must register their ATVs with the Colorado Department of Parks and Outdoor Recreation. If you’re an out-of-state resident, you don’t need to do anything if your ATV is registered in your home state. If it isn’t registered in your home state, then you will need to register your ATV with the Colorado Department of Parks and Outdoor Recreation.