Skip Navigation LinksRights > State Laws

Nevada State Motorcycle Laws


Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States
Accept RiderEd Completion Card From Other States
Daytime Use of Headlight
Modulating headlight permitted per Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, 571.108
Eye Protection
Required by law unless equipped with windscreen; NRS 486.231
Handlebar Height
Handgrips below shoulder height; NRS 486.201

Required, no more than 2

Helmet Speakers
No Restrictions
Lane Splitting
Not authorized; NRS 486.351
Maximum Sound Level
Max A-weighted sound level as measured at 50 feet:
1) 82dBA less than 35mph
2) 86dBA more than 35mph
Mirror Left(L) Right(R)
Two required by law; NRS 486.311
Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane
Muffler required. No cutout, bypass or similar device; NRS 484D.415
Passenger Age Restriction
Passenger Footrest
Required if carrying a passenger; NRS 486.181 (3)
Passenger Seat
Required if carrying a passenger; NRS 486.181 (1)
Periodic Safety Inspection
Not Required
Radar Detector
No Restriction
Rider Education
Available for all eligible applicants; NV Dept. of Public Safety
Rider-Education Waiver
Skill & Knowledge Test
State Insurance Requirements
Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(15/30/10)


Traffic Actuated Signals

Motorcycles may proceed with caution after two complete cycles: NV AB 117

Turn Signals
Required if manufactured in 1973 or after; NRS 486.271

Off Road

Eye Protection
Not Required

Required for nighttime operation.

Maximum Sound Level
No Limit
Minimum Operator Age
No Restriction

Muffler and spark arrestor required.

Operator License
Not Required
Not Required
Rider Education Certification
Not Required
Safety Helmet

Required when operating on a county, town or city maintained road.  Check local statutes to ensure ATV use is permitted on the roads in question.

Spark Arrestor
Not Required

Required for nighttime operation.

Trails Program
Not Available
Vehicle Title

Title and registration required.

Registration on an off-highway vehicle is not required if the vehicle is registered or certified in another state and is located in the state for not more than 15 days.

VermontNew HampshireMassachusettsRhode IslandConnecticutNew JerseyDelawareMarylandDistrict of ColumbiaWashingtonOregonCaliforniaNevadaArizonaUtahIdahoMontanaWyomingColoradoNew MexicoNorth DakotaSouth DakotaNebraskaKansasOklahomaTexasMinnesotaIowaMissouriArkansasLouisianaWisconsinIllinoisMississippiTennesseeAlabamaFloridaGeorgiaSouth CarolinaNorth CarolinaMichiganIndianaKentuckyOhioMaineVirginiaWest VirginiaPennsylvaniaNew YorkAlaskaHawaii

Download complete charts of motorcycle-related state laws for Road and Off-Road.