Story and photos by Michael Marino
LEXINGTON, Ohio — Joshua Roper and Sam Fastle were among 19 riders crowned AMA National Champions in the vintage trials competition Sunday at 2019 Honda AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days presented by Avon Tyres.
Both members of the Xtreme Trials Riders troupe that wowed attendees at the event on Friday and Saturday, Roper and Fastle persevered through difficult course conditions to demonstrate their superior trials skills.
From left, Vintage Factory Class third-place finisher Karl Davis Jr., class champion Joshua Roper and runner-up Jim Gawne.
Fastle, of Albuquerque, N.M., won the Vintage Old School Expert Class. He competed aboard a Hodaka 100.
“It was really sloppy and muddy out there,” he said. “I didn’t perform as well as I would have liked on my first and second loop, but I was able to get the little Hodaka through every section.”
Vintage Old School Expert Class Champion Sam Fastle (left) and runner-up Chris Spoonogle.
Fastle said he’s competed at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days seven times, and he enjoys the challenge riding in difficult, muddy conditions.
Glendale, Ariz., resident Roper credits coaching by trials legend Ryan Young for helping him hone the skills needed to adjust to slippery conditions.
“It rained overnight, and it was really hard to find traction,” he said. “All those years of Ryan Young teaching me how to find traction paid off.”
He said he started riding trials when he was 3 or 4 years old and has competed in trials at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days for the past five years. He rode a Yamaha TY175 in Sunday’s competition.
The trials competition featured 93 entries and took place in the wooded area on the west side of the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course facility.
Sunday Vintage Trials Class Champions
- Vintage Factory Clubman: Lee Orme III
- Vintage Old School Expert: Sam Fastle
- Vintage Old School Clubman: Bob Wentzel
- Vintage Open Intermediate: Stephen Nichols
- Vintage Hardtail Intermediate: Adam Gray
- Monoshock Expert: Travis Daniels
- Monoshock Intermediate: Gary Roach
- Monoshock Clubman: Greg Myers
- Twin Shock Expert: Logan Bolopue
- Twin Shock Intermediate: Jim Zuroske
- Twin Shock Clubman: Ron Payne
- Modern Expert: Mitchell Littlefield
- Modern Intermediate: Jeffery Payne
- Modern Clubman: Gino Catanzarite
- Novice: Dylan Alkire
- Junior Vintage: Chase Orme
- Junior 4-8: Owen Fields
- Vintage Factory Expert: Joshua Roper
- Vintage Factory Intermediate: Chris Arnold