Story and photos by Michael Marino
ASHLAND, Ohio — Tom Drane, Trevor Brunner and Bradon Pfanders were among 14 riders to claim class points leads Tuesday at the opening round of the 2019 AMA Flat Track Grand Championship.
The nation’s official amateur national flat track championship completed its lone day of competition on the Ashland County Fairgrounds half-mile track. The four-day event moves to the Triangle Motorcycle Club in Harpster, Ohio, for its remaining three days.
Tom Drane (No. 59) was one of two riders to win three main events at the opening day of the 2019 AMA Flat Track Grand Championship.
Drane, the 2018 AMA Youth Flat Track Racer of the Year, made the trip from New South Wales, Australia, to compete in the AMA Flat Track Grand Championship for the second consecutive year.
He said his team made the most of the morning practice session and had his motorcycle dialed in for his three main event victories on the day.
Brunner was the only other rider to claim three main event victories. The rider from Aurora, Ind., is no stranger to the top step on the podium. He took three main event wins on the half-mile at the 2019 AMA All-Star National Flat Track Series event at Volusia Speedway Park in March.
Another rider carrying momentum into the event was Bradon Pfranders of Bethlehem, Ohio. He scored a win in the 85cc Modified (7-11) Class main event and had podium finishes in the 85cc DTX (7-11) and 65cc Modified main events. Pfanders showed his speed earlier this year at the 2019 AMA Daytona Bike Week Flat Track Championship Series, where he was the only rider to claim three class titles.
Pfanders said he entered the event with a lot of confidence, but knew he had a tough task ahead of him, considering the talent of the racers he was competing against.
Other top performing riders on Tuesday were Riley Nauta of Worongary, Queensland, Australia and Chase Anderson of Troy, Ill., each taking two main event wins.
The day featured 229 entries racing on a pea gravel half-mile track under sunny skies.
The racing resumes Wednesday with TT competition.
2019 AMA Flat Track Grand Championship — Tuesday Main Event Winners
- 50cc DTX Sr. (7-8): Braxton Ragan, Bruckner, Ill.
- 85cc DTX (7-11): Travis Horn, La Verne, Calif.
- 50cc DTX PW Shaft (4-8): Leland Prewitt, Savannah, Ga.
- 250cc Modified: Tom Drane, Forbes, New South Wales, Australia
- 50cc DTX PW (4-8): Colton Shafer, Fresno, Calif.
- 450cc Modified: Kody Kopp, Mica, Wash.
- 85cc Modified (7-11): Bradon Pfanders, Bethlehem, Pa.
- Super Senior 50+: Doug Davis, Dayton, Ohio
- 450cc Open Singles: Trevor Brunner, Aurora, Ind.
- 65cc Modified (7-11): Riley Nauta, Worongary, Queensland, Australia
- 201cc-250cc: Tom Drane, Forbes, New South Wales, Australia
- Senior 40+: Dallas Mayer, Carbondale, Ill.
- Open Vintage: Daniel Poole, Gaffney, S.C.
- 85cc Modified (12-15): Chase Anderson, Troy, Ill.
- 251cc-500cc DTX: Trevor Brunner, Aurora, Ind.
- 65cc DTX (7-11): Riley Nauta, Worongary, Queensland, Australia
- Veteran 30+: Ben Evans, Galion, Ohio
- Pro/Expert Singles: Max Whale, Coondoo, Queensland, Australia
- 250cc DTX: Tom Drane, Forbes, New South Wales, Queensland, Australia
- 450cc-Open Modified: Trevor Brunner, Aurora, Ind.
- 85cc DTX (12-15): Chase Anderson, Troy, Ill.