Q – What is the mission of the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame?
A – The AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame is overseen by the non-profit American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation. Its mission is to celebrate, elucidate and preserve the rich tradition of motorcycling in America.
Q – Where is the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame located?
A – The AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame is located on the campus of the American Motorcyclist Association in Pickerington, Ohio. There is no admission for AMA members. More information, including days/hours of operation, can be found at http://americanmotorcyclist.com/hof/Visit.
Q – What will I see when I visit the Hall of Fame?
A – The main floor of the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame museum celebrates Hall of Fame inductees: the heroes of the track, road, trails and halls of government who have elevated the sport to new heights. Additional exhibits in 2016 featured Indian Motorcycles, Toys and Collectibles, and Birth of a Hurricane. For more, see http://americanmotorcyclist.com/hof/Exhibits.
Q – How many members are in the Hall of Fame?
A – The AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame has 485 members, inducted between 1999 and 2016.
- The Class of 2016: Jeff Cole, Miguel Duhamel, Charles Franklin, Chris Haines, Jack Johnson, Ronnie Jones, Dennis Mahan, and Gloria Tramontin-Struck
- Hall of Famers who passed in 2016 include Doug Bingham and Chuck “Feets” Minert.
- Biographies of Hall of Fame members can be viewed at http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/search.aspx.
Q – How are men and women inducted into the Hall of Fame?
A – Each year, the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame welcomes new members at an induction ceremony. To learn about the current class, past inductees, as well as the induction process and annual ceremony, go to http://americanmotorcyclist.com/hof/Induction.
Q – How can I contribute to the Hall of Fame?
A – Each year, hundreds of individuals and organizations donate funds to support the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
There are many ways to contribute!
- From motorcycles to memorabilia, each year the museum acquires new pieces of motorcycling history in America. In 2016 we added, among other things, Harley-Davidson trading cards, a 1934 Gypsy tour belt buckle, and many new additions to our research library.
- Donors during 2016 fiscal year.
Q – How does the AMA support the Hall of Fame?
A – The AMA organizes numerous activities and events, and provides staffing, to support the Hall of Fame.
- Each year, the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Raffle offers chances to win one or more motorcycles to encourage donations to the charity.
- Every July, tens of thousands attend AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days in Lexington, Ohio. The event includes vintage racing, the country’s largest motorcycle swap meet, seminars, stars from the sport’s past and present, bike shows, demo rides and more. Proceeds from AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days support the Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
- In the fall, the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame inducts a new class of members. The staff of the AMA, in addition to a team of volunteers and advisors, supports the induction process, plans the ceremony and raises money to produce the event.